[asterisk-biz] FCC ruling that requires all VoIP providerstomakewiretapping

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Jun 13 08:02:01 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 10:08 -0400, Mike Lynchfield wrote:
> Carnivore, the most recent example of FBI snooping software, is
> reported to be able to scoop up all of targeted individuals' Internet
> traffic, including e-mail. Carnivore is only one project aimed at
> destroying America's privacy. In fact, the FBI under the Clinton
> administration developed an entire series of hardware and software
> devices intended to monitor U.S. citizens.

magic lantern (based off a rip off of back orafice by CDC) is the most
recent thing.  Its spyware plain and simple.

carnivore is just a packet sniffer that can only be used if the isp in
question cant tap a specific person.  it doesnt run on the net at
large.

and the hardware/software that you speak of sounds like echelon, which
clinton was behind, however even that is overstated in many regards.

Can we get back to CALEA only or just drop this thread?  CALEA is a real
law passed in 1984 (interesting year eh?) that requires telephone
companies to cooperate with law enforcement.  A title III warrant is
issued to the telco, they then tap the line, and provide the product of
that tap to the issuing agency.  the monitor app would work for calea,
you just have to make sure your dialplans will call it for every call,
then you avoid the $10k/day/switch fine that can be imposed for not
being compliant.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com we pay you to terminate calls with us!