[asterisk-biz] FCC ruling that requires all VoIP providerstomakewiretapping

Mike Lynchfield theclubvoip at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 07:08:29 MST 2006

 Carnivore, the most recent example of FBI snooping software, is reported to
be able to scoop up all of targeted individuals' Internet traffic, including
e-mail. Carnivore is only one project aimed at destroying America's privacy.
In fact, the FBI under the Clinton administration developed an entire series
of hardware and software devices intended to monitor U.S. citizens.

OLD NEWS BUT :
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/3/5/220402.shtml

AND wiki explains it better

Assistant FBI Director Donald
Kerr<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Donald_Kerr&action=edit>has
been quoted as saying:

The Carnivore device works much like commercial "sniffers" and other network
diagnostic tools used by ISPs every day, except that it provides the FBI
with a unique ability to distinguish between communications which may be
lawfully intercepted and those which may not. For example, if a court order
provides for the lawful interception of one type of communication (e.g.,
e-mail), but excludes all other communications (e.g., online shopping) the
Carnivore tool can be configured to intercept only those e-mails being
transmitted either to or from the named subject. ... [it] is a very
specialized network analyzer or "sniffer" which runs as an application
program on a normal personal computer under the Microsoft Windows operating
system. It works by "sniffing" the proper portions of network packets and
copying and storing only those packets which match a finely defined filter
set programmed in conformity with the court order. This filter set can be
extremely complex, and this provides the FBI with an ability to collect
transmissions which comply with pen register court orders, trap & trace
court orders, Title III interception orders, etc.... ...It is important to
distinguish now what is meant by "sniffing." The problem of discriminating
between users' messages on the Internet is a complex one. However, this is
exactly what Carnivore does. It does NOT search through the contents of
every message and collect those that contain certain key words like "bomb"
or "drugs." It selects messages based on criteria expressly set out in the
court order, for example, messages transmitted to or from a particular
account or to or from a particular
user.cryptome.org<http://cryptome.org/carnivore-rf.htm>
 Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore_(FBI)
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

so it could be possible i assume as i remember seeing an rtp packet sniffer
on this list a while back..

as well as we do have voice recognition servers here so i guess ill try it
for the heck of it.. ill ask a tech if one avail here to do a lab on that ;)
darn ill ask the boss to put it as R&D for Homeland Sec ;)

basically ill just have one of our guys read a text from a magazine and then
make them use voice rec to filter  and trigger on certain words. and see
what comes up.

On 6/13/06, Frank <bureau at inmte.com> wrote:

> Refer to google carnivore project.
>
> Basically they monitor all convos , then they archive in case of need as
> in
> Intelligence gathering . Like who did that guy call in last 60 days.
> They can do voice comparisons on the tapes and find approx matches then
> manually discard false positives.
>
> They can also do realtime switching as in say a specific word or more and
> then it gets filtered by a machine to a level 2 system that also filters..
>

> Carnivore project sends 1 call ever million to a nsa agent.
> Meaning 1 out of a 1000 gets sent to the agency realtime.
> 1 out of that 1000 is live monitored.
>
> Consider it like a 'I got a bo...b' phrase in an airport.
>
> They trigger on specs and then the software does the rest.
>
> That does need affiliation with major players but carnivore is unix based
> and acts like comview in a way that it sniffs the packets on the lan
>
> The guy that worked with fbi ,nsa on this is the guy that works on the
> recognition paterns ( I think it was dragon dictate) or similar products.

Mike
Sales Manager
http://www.theclubvoip.com
Making it happen