[asterisk-biz] Fundamental problem with DIDx is

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jan 22 14:46:47 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 13:21 -0800, M O wrote:
> Mark,
>

> You explained to the list EXACTLY what DIDx.org does,
> they DO NOT PROTECT the customer/people who spends $
> with DIDx.org at all!!!!!
>
> If the carrier, who supplied DIDx.org with a DID #,
> and anyone of us goes to DIDx, and spends $,
> when the Carrier stops providing service to DIDx.org,
> DIDx.org simply states they, DIDx.org, got their commission, the Carrier
> the Carrier got his/her $, and " At the time the customers,
> Me/YOU,  purchased the DID #, the DID # was good ".

This is the problem I generally have with didx.org.  I have voiced this
opinion (as it is just an opinion not a fact that its a problem).
Instead of just being a broker they want to stay in the middle and get
residuals.

This could be resolved by didx.org (and maybe it is I dont know) by
getting those that provide the DIDs have to sign something saying they
will continue to provide the service once it sells rather than being
able to just drop service.  Obviously if there is a failure of the
underlying business there is little that can be done, however for
companies that just pull their DIDs after they are sold (licensed?) some
legal remedy can be in place.  That would be handled by the contract
with the provider.

The contracts themselves pose problems however, if DIDx doesnt have
enough resources to go after someone, or if some jurisdictions dont
allow this clause then its a problem.  DIDx isnt global but their DIDs
are, as such the law gets really hairy becuase what works in one country
may be totally invalid in others.

> Didx.org DOES NOT PROTECT anyone spending $ with them.

does not or did not?  I havent reviewed their contract for sellers so I
cant make that statement and have any chance of being correct and
instead would most likely commit libel for making a false statement
about someone  that does cause harm (harm can include lost sales).

While your statement may have been accurate at one time, I cannot say
that it is still that way becuase I dont know what the process is and
what the wording is.  As described above I came up with a faily simple
way that your comment would be invalid.

A large enough breach clause could protect users.  And then even if DIDx
replaced the DID this is generally not acceptable because you get
business cards printed, etc.  However broadvoice did that with someones
tollfree as indicated here last week.  So even replacement is deemed not
acceptable and the only way you can guarantee that you dont lose your
DID is to go with a real phone provider (ixc/lec) and even then there
are area code splits and what not that can cause you to lose your number
as it was.  Things that are out of most everyones control.

> Trixter got some working DID #s for FREE, but I am SURE, if
> Trixter spent $, he would regret/LOST it.

I dont know, I signed up through the same process as anyone else, and
get service the same as anyone else - it was just a credit on my bill,
nothing else was different.

How recent is your experience with DIDx?  Or do you not allow for anyone
to ever change as problems are identified?  Change does happen, as was
stated here the other day the presentation on building a telco with open
source which was to be presented at etel had some information that was
accurate about asterisk, although it wasnt flattering to asterisk,
asterisk itself changed to correct some of those issues.  That is proof
that some things can change.

I think its childish to continue to say that a company operates a
certain way when the information about how they operate is not accureate
anymore.  That same sentiment was expressed about the presentation that
was to happen at etel, hope that the presentation itself was updated to
reflect asterisk today and not asterisk when the phone company was being
built.

> I hope someone 1 day will p
>  rovide
>  what DIDx.org advertises
> as this would be GREAT for the VOIP community.

> But until then, I would recommend you stay away from
> DIDx.org,  you will TRULLY regret spending $ with them.

Why dont you make a better system that does it?  You seem to have
everything figured out on how to accomplish this.  Instead of trying to
tear someone down on a mailing list why not beat them at their own game?
Possibly make some money in the process.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378