[asterisk-biz] I am a prisoner of vonage

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Thu Jan 19 16:40:50 MST 2006

That often seems to be a stock answer on this list. People don't get
compensated for the time they spend dealing first with vendors like
vonage and later with banks or credit card companies. Banks will things
like overdraft fees caused by intentional fraud. If it is caused by
vendor error they expect the consumer to recover the damages from the
vendor. So I might be able to get a chargeback against vonage but if the
origianl transaction caused some checks to bounce, I might incur $100+
in bank fees and retailer returned check fees.

This type of thing will continue to happen until the lardasses we send
to DC pass some real consumer protection laws. They talk about identity
theft and privacy but they aren't doing anything about the biggest
problem - people having their bank accounts screwed with unjustly.

I did some initial research today. So far it looks like most consumer
organizations are focusing on things that have far less impact on the
average consumer. Knowing your money is safe in your bank account seems
like a high priority consumer issue to me.