[asterisk-biz] The Value of VoIP subscribers

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Feb 19 02:06:20 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 10:48 +0200, CC Asterisk wrote:
> Hi,
> Any suggestions how to figure out the value of a subscriber? Say you
> have  X amount of subscribers on monthly contracts on  your VoIP
> service and they produce Y cashflow  with Z gross profit every month -
> what would be their value.
> Thanks

Well lets see

total customers X
total cashflow  Y
gross profit    Z
customer value  priceless

ok, so everyone doesnt get the mastercard commercials ...

If you want to know the value of an individual customer you cant
aggregate all customers together, however it seems that you want to have
an average.  Now that leads me to another issue, there are factors that
you may not be considering.  'churn rate' is the rate that you have new
customers sign up and old ones leave.  If you have a lot of this
happening, you may have a constant, or perhaps even growing subscriber
base but  there is generally a cost associated to setting up and tearing
down accounts.  Would it not make sense to include how long the customer
has been with you to determine their value?

Value by itself means nothing, it needs a context behind it.  Are you
looking simply for just the net worth of the customer from the ITSP
perspective, on an aggregating basis?
X/Z should do that, however that is an overly simplistic way to approach
it.

Are you looking for the value of a single customer vs this average?
It may be something like
customer_cost/customer_revenue : X/Z

This is a hard problem to answer given the vagueness that you have
started out.  Value is highly subjective, and I am unclear exactly what
context it is to be used it.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378