[asterisk-biz] g729 licensing

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Feb 5 04:28:21 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 14:42 +0400, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> Is the transcoding going to happen on your side or have you written an
> implementation of g.729 which will just "borrow and release" some kind
> of transcoding token?

The codec will dynamically aquire a license and release it when done.
For latency reasons there will be a server that exists at anyone using
this schemes facilities.  That server will prefetch a few licenses out
of their total amount, leaving some behind for others to borrow.  Then
as it needs more it will get more, removing them from the global pool.

The other scheme is where you have a license server preconfigured with
your licenses only so that you dont get any spares to borrow from the
pool (currently its set at 10% above what you bought but that number may
increase as usage dictates).

I think the spares are somewhat importatnt since asterisk has no hooks
to see if there is an available license before selecting the codec and
trying it out.  If there arent any licenses available you get a dead
call, this can happen even if you borrow, but if your calculations were
slightly off you dont lose a call.  Additionally you dont have to have
extra licenses for that occasional overload.

> NB: Personally, I find all these channel limitations (Digium or yours)
> and the whole g.729 licensing scheme pretty ridiculous...

That is not for me to judge, the law is what it is and there is nothing
I can do about that right now.  Patents exist in many places and until
they expire or the law changes ...

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378