[asterisk-biz] g729 licensing

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Sun Feb 5 04:37:06 MST 2006

>The codec will dynamically aquire a license and release it when done.
>For latency reasons there will be a server that exists at anyone using
>this schemes facilities.  That server will prefetch a few licenses out
>of their total amount, leaving some behind for others to borrow.  Then
>as it needs more it will get more, removing them from the global pool.

OK, Sounds good.

>The other scheme is where you have a license server preconfigured with
>your licenses only so that you dont get any spares to borrow from the
>pool (currently its set at 10% above what you bought but that number may
>increase as usage dictates).

I like the idea of "burstable" codec usage. In that respect, "autobuy"
is a great feature. If you use more, you receive an invoice which you
pay. Perfect "pay as you grow" kind of solution.

>That is not for me to judge, the law is what it is and there is nothing
>I can do about that right now.  Patents exist in many places and until
>they expire or the law changes ...

Oh don't get me wrong, I was in no way criticizing your businesses. Most
profitable businesses are often built on the back of such absurdities. I
believe your business makes this absurdity less absurd in a legal way,
which is a fantastic idea.

As such I predict it will be highly profitable... I'll probably use it!

Still, it's absurd :)

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.

--
Jean-Michel Hiver - http://ykoz.net/
Découvrez la Réunion des Technologies IP & Telecom