[asterisk-biz] g729 licensing

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Sat Feb 4 19:47:27 MST 2006

trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

>On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 20:48 -0500, Steve Totaro wrote:
>

>>Well I am looking at purchasing 672 licenses.  Digium gives a little
>>price break over 500 licenses, they only charge $8/each.  Somehow I
>>would like to see how your model could possibly help my situation rather
>>than helping everyone else's.
>>

>Well there are two options, one is you get your own server, and if you
>exhaust your licenses you get no slack.  Due to the way that codecs are
>done in asterisk there is no way to tell if a license is avialable until
>the codec is chosen, and then without a codec being familiar with all
>channel types no way for it to say 'eeps go try another'.  Idealy during
>the SDP in sip or whatever signalling protocol is used the check would
>be performed and codecs that arent really available not offered, but
>this hook doesnt (currently) exist and if it did would require all
>codecs upgraded to support it.
>
>So in short if you run your own server you would not be able to get
>extra licenses if you run out and the call would end up with 'dead
>air'.
>
>Only in the community model can you borrow licenses from someone else
>and thus get temporary extra licenses.  We capped it at 10% to avoid
>people ordering 1 license and using 1000 all the time.  This way we can
>more effectively manage the licenses without running out ourselves and
>having to buy more from sippro.com.  We added the auto purchase option
>on the community based model for people that really want to ensure that
>calls dont fail should they exceed that 10% soft quota buffer.
>
>So you dont have to help others out if you dont want to.  Its all about
>choice and freedom, you dont even have to choose our implementation, you
>have that much choice with us :)

1) Suppose I run my own license server. Can I simply have my asterisk
servers constantly "leasing" N licenses for some time period like 60
minutes? The primary advantage I see here is that I don't have to be
calling you to move licenses around. Maybe someday I double the memory
on a server and want to then move some virtual PBX customers over from
another server. Sounds to me like I can do that anytime any day of the
week with your product as long as I have purchased enough licenses.

2) Will existing customers running a local license server be able to buy
additional licenses via web portal 24/7?

3) Is the local license server highly dependent on a single server being
available or are master/slave implementations being allowed?

4) If the data center with my sole license server is bombed, can I
reinstall on another machine and load all the keys, etc. without calling
or emailing you?

4) Is this strictly 729 suffix a or what?