[asterisk-biz] Is ISP Blocking VoIP

Rusty Shackleford john97 at flatline.com
Wed Feb 1 15:52:22 MST 2006

Again....

These schemes might be effective, temporarily, but playing cat and mouse
with ports and the ISPs' attempts to dick with traffic is not a
practical business model.

Honestly, this behavior on the part of the ISP's doesn't surprise me in
the least. Conside those cases where the ISP is also selling dialtone.
VOIP traffic crossing their network, and NOT belonging to them, is
competition. Given that the major communications companies have a
history of aggressively protecting their revenues, and given that the
current regulatory climate has been bought and paid for by those
companies, it doesn't surprise me at all.

<tin_foil_hat=on>
This is but an early skirmish in the war for the Internet, folks.
Video-on-demand may well be the next round. That "holy grail" of the
media giants is just around the corner, and don't think for a minute
that your cable company/ISP will stand idly by and watch you order your
movies from "moviesnow.blockbuster.com" if they can get away with
dicking with the feed and offering you "a more reliable" alternative.
<tin_foil_hat=off>

- Rusty