[asterisk-biz] Is ISP Blocking VoIP

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Wed Feb 1 15:53:59 MST 2006

>Again....
>
>These schemes might be effective, temporarily, but playing cat and mouse
>with ports and the ISPs' attempts to dick with traffic is not a
>practical business model.

Playing cat and mouse is standard practice in the VoIP world...
unfortunately the telcos and isps which play fair and the exception
rather than the rule.

>Honestly, this behavior on the part of the ISP's doesn't surprise me in
>the least. Conside those cases where the ISP is also selling dialtone.
>VOIP traffic crossing their network, and NOT belonging to them, is
>competition. Given that the major communications companies have a
>history of aggressively protecting their revenues, and given that the
>current regulatory climate has been bought and paid for by those
>companies, it doesn't surprise me at all.

I agree with you. They are big, they have lots of capital, and they
don't like the idea of competition. So you need to play smart... there
is really no choice.

><tin_foil_hat=on>
>This is but an early skirmish in the war for the Internet, folks.
>Video-on-demand may well be the next round. That "holy grail" of the
>media giants is just around the corner, and don't think for a minute
>that your cable company/ISP will stand idly by and watch you order your
>movies from "moviesnow.blockbuster.com" if they can get away with
>dicking with the feed and offering you "a more reliable" alternative.
><tin_foil_hat=off>

The problem is that it's a sad truth. The internet which was originally
a cool P2P environment is increasingly turning into a pure client -
server (or rather consumer - big business) model. To me this is a huge
step backwards. Compuserve anyone?

Businesses love to lock their customers in, and this is exactly what's
happening. And until people understand the value of a clean connection,
with no NAT and a static IP address, this is not going to get any better...

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.

--
Jean-Michel Hiver - http://ykoz.net/
Découvrez la Réunion des Technologies IP & Telecom