[asterisk-biz] backup power requirements for emergency calling

Ed Guy edguy at emcsw.com
Sat Apr 15 09:03:57 MST 2006

Herman Webley wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can one of you experts please tell me how many many minutes of backup
>power (if any) is mandated for 911 calling?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>-Best regards,
>Herman

Herman,

If I recall properly,  the system performance objective for E911
signaling on the US PSTN is
something like less than 10 minutes down time per year.  Any regulation
that said, "thou shall have
a backup power of  a certain duration" would be ignoring the environment
in which the service
was provided.

It may be reasonable for your customers to expect this service level.
However,  you should analyze
the your network design and infrastructure for reliability and then
choose components to meet your
objectives.  When you know how much diesel you need to keep on hand,
your analysis is probably
close to complete.

I would be very surprised if any regulation was any stricter than this
performance objective,
however, IANAL and your should consult one familiar with both local
regulations and potential
liabilities of not meeting customer expectation in this area.  I suggest
you Google the "Stella Awards"
if you want to understand what you're up against in the US..

/ed guy

Edward T. Guy, III, Ph.D.
e-MCSoftware, Madison, N.J., US
sip:edguy at emcsw.com