[Asterisk-biz] Re: Asterisk Ffork - OpenPBX.org

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Sun Oct 9 11:55:12 MST 2005

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Peter Nixon wrote:

> Hmmmm... Another piece of software that works with Digium's hardware but
> doesn't require any of Digium's resources to maintain, with the added
> advantage of having more features than the software that Digium already
> gives away for free as a loss leader to sell their hardware... Can
> someone please explain how this "works against Digium"??
You are using Digium's GPL'd software (Mark's hard work) without
contributing back your features, disclaimed so Digium can profit from your
work.

Yes, technically, you don't work "against Digium", you just don't allow
Digium to profit from your work. Yes, it is perfectly legal. But is this
the Right Thing to do?

I'm not so sure.

If all parts to OpenPBX were disclaimed and available to Digium, then I
wouldn't have a problem with it.

 -alex