[Asterisk-biz] PRI Prices

Rusty Shackleford john97 at flatline.com
Tue Oct 4 13:48:48 MST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Brent Franks
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 12:44 PM
To: asterisk-biz at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-biz] PRI Prices

Hello,

I recently begun researching PRI prices to expand the capacity into our
PBX (located in Northern Virginia).  I received a quote from our ILEC,
that seems a bit outrageous to me.

Here is what was sent to me:

2 Year Contract

Recurring Charges (Monthly)
Base PRI Price: $493.73/mo
CallerID (Name+Num) for 23 Channels: $140.00/mo
20 DID's: $20.25/mo with $725.00 setup fee

Local Calling, .096 cents on each call (no per minute)
Long Distance, 5.3 cents per minute (billed in 60 second increments)

Total Monthly: 653.98

First issue, is the fact that CallerID is extra.  I thought this was one
of the reasons to go with a PRI, was it was included.  I've never heard
of PRI's w/o CID.

Second, the first quote she sent did not have the DID's.  I told her
that we needed to use this for incoming calls.  Are DID's different then
incoming numbers?  I didn't think so, but she acted like it was.

Does this price seem on the high side?  Northern VA seems to be a
realtively high competition area, hwoever I have found that a PRI can
only be ordered from the ILEC?

Our desired setup was to have a PRI (For Inbound, with 3 or 4 numbers)
and maintain 4 or 5 analog lines for outgoing (with unlimited LD).

You're right, this is high, but not outrageously so, depending on your
location (urban versus rural).

$1 per DID number is ridiculous. We're paying $0.15 per DID number, and
that's high.

Charging extra for caller ID is unusual. They must think that they can
get away with it. Tell them they can't. "Caller ID is included or no
deal."

Generally speaking an analog line is more costly than a PRI channel.
Unless your anticipate your busy-hour utilization will necessitate 4
additional lines (beyond the 23 provided by the PRI) why not do put all
your traffic on the PRI?

10/03/2005