[Asterisk-biz] Criminal Liability (I know there are attorneys onthis list)

steve steve at 17q.com
Thu May 12 18:19:33 MST 2005

Hi:

I can answer your question.   If the girls are located in the Philippines
then they fall under the laws of that country.

You are not engaging in prostitution if the girls never meet the johns.

There would be no criminal liability from the United States.   The United
States Attorney would not prosecute you under these facts presented.

The answer to question 3 is that depends on what the laws in the Philippines
as it relates to the Xlec, it citizens and companies.   Further, it would
also depend on the contractual relationship the Xlec has with its carriers.

In answer to question 4, if you are an ISP then you are protected under the
common carrier laws.   In short, what you don't know, you are not
responsible for.   However, if you have knowledge, then you are responsible.
A very famous case:   US v Pacific Telephone ( I can get you the citation if
you wish)  A drug deal goes down over the phone and the government tries to
hold the telephone company as part of the conspiracy.  The court rules that
the telephone company is a common carrier and they are not responsible as
long as it is without their knowledge.

There are cases where the phone company had knowledge and consequently, they
were found guilty and forced to pay heavy fines.

Steve
WL Com