[Asterisk-biz] asterisk with combined T1?

Eric Wieling aka ManxPower eric at fnords.org
Sun Mar 27 12:02:39 MST 2005

alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

>>Do you know what equipment is on the other end?  If I were to order a
>>circuit from an ILEC, what would I tell them I need?  Or, which ILECs
>>offer this as a product?

There are three ways you can do this.

1) Get the *LEC to split out voice and data at your location.  This is
how I do it.  The *LEC hands me off a DSX-1 (T-1) for the PRI channels,
and an ethernet port for IP service.

2) The *LEC hands you off a DSX-1 with both voice and data on it.  You
use Zap and the Linux HDLC module to use the data portion.

3) The *LEC hands you off a DSX-1 with both voice on it.  You use ZapRAS
to dial into an ISDN ISP and use multilink PPP to bond the channels into
a larger pipe.