[Asterisk-biz] asterisk with combined T1?

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Sun Mar 27 11:44:27 MST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Michael Welter wrote:

> >>I know other vendors (like CBeyond) do a bandwidth sharing thing,
> >>where all available T-1 channels are dedicated to data.  When a voice
> >>call arrives, 64Kbps is borrowed from the data stream for the duration
> >>of the voice call. I think it's Cisco equipment but not sure...
> >
> Do you know what equipment is on the other end?  If I were to order a
> circuit from an ILEC, what would I tell them I need?  Or, which ILECs
> offer this as a product?
It is multilink PPP. I don't think any LECs offer that as a product, but
if you control the other end of T1, it is trivial to set up. I use MAX TNT
to terminate the T1, but cisco AS5xxx will work just as fine.

> Also, is ZapRAS symmetrical?  Can I link two Asterisk boxes with ZapRAS?
Yes. But only one end needs to be Asterisk. Other end just needs to do
multilink PPP.

-alex