[Asterisk-biz] Forklift a 2000 phone PBX

Reid Forrest rforrest at max-is.net
Sun Mar 27 13:14:15 MST 2005

> This seems like a really bad idea. Why lock down into a not only old and
> outdated technology, but for 2000 users?!!
>
> You want to keep the network operating efficiently. Modern switches does a
> lot
> better job than yesterdays technology. If you have 250 people on the phone
> at
> the same time, and you are using g.729, you have used 10Mb right there.
> Never
> mind any other protocol.

Steve, I agree with you that trying to run voice over Cat3 is not the best
idea. But, I think your math may be off in the calculation above. 250 people
on the phone using g.729, even compensating for protocol overhead of 25% is
only 2.5Mbit/sec. In addition, you are assuming that the voice network is
completely FLAT, not switched. A fully switched voice network would reduce
bandwidth consumption at every station. A 2000 user switched voice network
over Cat3 is viable, as long as you keep data off of it.