[Asterisk-biz] FCC and 9-1-1

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 05:36:13 MST 2005

And.. if that DOESN'T work (as far as the F.C.C. is concerned).

When a customer does move.. 1 of two things happen.

#1 - Customer doesn't update their ALI information.
   -- Outcome... if done our way, or another way.. ALI information is
still incorrect, as is routing information... therefore, 9-1-1 call is
routed incorrectly.

#2 - Customer tries to update their ALI information.
  --  Outcome... If customer is outside of their service area they are
presented with a notice, and their service is suspended (for making
outgoing calls) and they are given a notice as to such.
   Or, if acceptable by the F.C.C. simply a notice is given notifying
the customer they are outside of their home service area, and 9-1-1
may not function.
  In part a of #2  I fail to see, again IANAL, how that would not
comply, as the customer has to update their ALI anyway, and when they
do, you can either notify them that service is not available there and
then turn off their service until they update their ALI and move back
into the area.  No?