[Asterisk-biz] D-Channels Dropping During Storms?

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Jun 6 12:23:52 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 14:38 -0400, Matt wrote:
> B.S. or not?
>
> We had a lightening storm come through our area....
>
> I dropped the d-channel on my asterisk box... a d-channel on my Nortel
> phone system.... 2 DS3's and another PRI (d-channel) on an access
> server.
>
> The phone company is saying.. well that happens during a storm.....
> blah blah.... my question is.. is this B.S. or is it a fact of life?

Yes, lightning can really mess things up.  Just be glad that your boxes
are still working.

> Anything I can do to stabelize things better?

Probably the best way would be to get an optical connection between your
equipment and the telco CO.  The next best would be to have an
experienced datacomm engineer take a look at your setup and add
appropriate lighting protection.

Jeff