[Asterisk-biz] A big problem with some resellers of resellers

Sam Bashton sambash at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 10:28:07 MST 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:13:56 -0500, Paul <digium-list at 9ux.com> wrote:

> Since then I have done lots of host, ping, traceroute and whois commands
> on ALL current and potential providers. I have at least one case where
> the promotional website, the customer login website, the mail exchanger
> and all gateway hosts resolve to the same IP address. I know that I
> often config customer routers to NAT different ports of one public IP to
> multiple servers. I hope that is the case here. Otherwise it could be a
> case of everything crammed into one server. Here I am considering moving
> lots of things like web and email away from the connection where I do
> voip testing/development(nothing customers are paying for) and find that
> I can't even count on some providers to have that much common sense!

I have some very large customer setups where DNS, web and MX all point
to the same IP (and POP3/IMAP for that matter).  It's not a case of
cramming everything onto the one box, but rather a cluster of machines
via LVS (www.linuxvirtualserver.org).
Some of these setups process in excess of 3 million email messages and
over a million web page hits per day, so don't assume that just
because everything is on one IP that it's a 'small-time' operation.

--
Sam Bashton - Bashton Ltd
www.bashton.com