[Asterisk-biz] national DID Management (was: LiveVoip Has Level 3 DID's)

brett-asterisk at worldcall.net brett-asterisk at worldcall.net
Mon Jan 24 13:55:25 MST 2005

Brandon Patterson wrote:

>I am aware of all of these issues were are on the Neustar lists. If the
>provider/
>carrier does manual DID input then this is a problem. DID's are NOT well
>managed by Neustar and that is my opinion. Neustar is the Verisign of NPA's
>and have nothing but the best interest of all the Telco's in mind.
>
>I cannot spend hours on how technical this is vs. another issue other than
>to say
>most large carriers still input switch data manually. That is a huge
>problem. And
>AT&T FYI: Just got fined in December for having to many DID's. In this day I
>would side with AT&T saying you cannot have enough.....
>

>>Woah.. Are you serious? DIDs are managed very well by Neustar and the
>>Pooling administration system (PAS at www.nationalpooling.com)

Personally I think the DIDs are very well managed. However the resultant
data (LERG, etc) is a very large collection of useless data unless you
know what to do with it. It's very unruly and there is little expertise
out there on how to effectively utilize this data for a telephone
switch. Personally I think routing should be done via a lookup system
similar to number portablility (which would eventually look like DNS or
ENUM).

Now when it comes to fining entities for having too many DIDs. I agree
with that in a large part. However it depends on how many extras they
have. Every 6 months carriers have to file a NRUF. that's a Number
resource utilization forcast. This is to maintain effecient numbering
resources within the North America Numbering Plan. Keeping effecient
usage keeps us from having to do Area code splits and overlay codes
which everyone thinks is a pain.

Perhaps the real cuprit here is the RBOCs who cling to their old
fashioned access regiems who define toll regions as their arbitrary
calling scopes and calling interest patterns. This keeps us in the mold
of rate centers and geographic boundries to calling patterns.. It's a
real nightmare! Numbers should really be able to point anywhere these
days. You can quote me on this.. bandwidth is cheap.. yes.. it's in
abundance.. Per minute charges are kinda silly (btw, that's a personal
opinion).

-Brett