[Asterisk-biz] National DID Management (was LiveVoip Has Level 3 DID's)

brett-asterisk at worldcall.net brett-asterisk at worldcall.net
Mon Jan 24 14:05:51 MST 2005

Brandon Patterson wrote:

>Guys I have a simple answer here.
>
>People want cheap, almost or for nothing calling and then all the 7 x 24
>support,
>SS7 and the like. So call your RBOC. I mean really. LiveVoip has and always
>is
>talking to Verisign, Nortel, Lucent and others as we scramble to install
>equipment,
>obtain DID's, and track the call quality. Sorry but you can spout technical
>info all
>day and it will not change what we deal with in the real world.......People
>own and
>or work at Telco's that have no business being there. Its a fact of life.
>You can have
>all the facts in the world and the carriers do not give a shit. That is a
>fact.
>
>True LNP is a pain in the ass. Hire someone, many someone's and get no ROI.
>AT&T wireless sold the company because of LNP and huge CRM problems. AT&T
>can write some pretty big checks.
>
>Brandon Patterson
>

>Consider this : You don't tell carriers like Qwest , XO and Level 3...they
>tell you.

I totally agree with you. You can't make those carriers do your LNP for
you and you are totally at their mercy to do it. Furthermore the
industry demands national DID coverage. And there are only a few
providers out there that can offer that kind of coverage. Now if those
national providers won't do LNP for you, then what can you do? Nothing.

Now I've got a couple of class 5 switches.. Once you SS7 connect them to
the PSTN, LNP is just another switch. It's practically automatic. I
think it's pretty stinky of them to not do it for you. I'm not trying to
give you grief over it, rather, I'd be giving it to them. So please
don't read my message wrong.

Here.. I'll publish a price. NPAC charges $15 per porting request made
over the phone. This is the absolute most primitave (and expensive if in
bulk) way to do number porting. We started with this.. That is called
the "help desk" option. In other words, this is for carriers who don't
want a dedicated connection to NPAC to make porting changes. This $15
charge can be for an entire range of numbers or just a single number. So
basically you make this call, place an ASR to the losing carrier and in
48 hour it works. If you have a real class 5 switch and have it setup
with your LRN, everything else is literally automagic. Just point your
new "winning" DID to a trunk group. Voila!

That's really awful that those carriers are oppressive and
uncooperative. That's disturbing news that they would treat anyone like
that.. Who do they think they are? The RBOC?
-Brett