[Asterisk-biz] A big problem with some resellers of resellers

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Mon Jan 24 13:13:56 MST 2005

This is not exactly rocket science:

I opened an account with Y who buys from X. I later figured that out so
I opened an account directly with X.

Typical pinging and tracing looks like this:

to Mister X 78 ms 15 hops
to Mister Y 26 ms 11 hops

Since then I have done lots of host, ping, traceroute and whois commands
on ALL current and potential providers. I have at least one case where
the promotional website, the customer login website, the mail exchanger
and all gateway hosts resolve to the same IP address. I know that I
often config customer routers to NAT different ports of one public IP to
multiple servers. I hope that is the case here. Otherwise it could be a
case of everything crammed into one server. Here I am considering moving
lots of things like web and email away from the connection where I do
voip testing/development(nothing customers are paying for) and find that
I can't even count on some providers to have that much common sense!

My opinion of people like that(the gentle/kind version) is "Very far
from ready for primetime"