[Asterisk-biz] Unlocking post-Vonage ATA-186s, again

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Jan 18 19:13:08 MST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Jeremy McNamara wrote:

> Roderick Montgomery wrote:
>
> >Don't the time and materials required to execute your
> >undisclosed method well exceed the cost of Vonage's unlocking fee?
>

> What time and materials?  Like I said, I had the PAP2 reconfigured to my
> Asterisk box within 30 minutes after bringing it home from Staples....
> using nothing more than my laptop and a cross-over cable... The device
> asks for something specific upon bootup, right?
>
> I have shown a few people in this community how to do it... they are
> simply not getting involved in this thread or telling others how to do
> it, because I have asked them not to.

I wasn't party to the discussion or the unlocking ceremony at Astricon but
I do know a fair amount about embedded OS design. In most cases, devices
such as the PAP2 and most other Modem/Router/Firewall/Appliance type
peripherals can be reloaded using a combination of bootp and tftp. I've
done this for many many many devices..

I'll take a stab that what the PAP2 does is send out a BOOTP request
looking for an IP, tftpserver and a downloadable firmware image, and if it
doesn't find anything responding, will proceed to load the firmware from
flash.

This isn't much different from using a PXE boot ROM for your network card
to boot a diskless workstation from a remote server.

From: http://frank.harvard.edu/~coldwell/diskless/

"Back in the Good Old Days of low-numbered RFCs, companies like NCD worked
out that the best way to boot a diskless machine (in the case of NCD, an
X-Terminal) was to have it run BOOTP to obtain an IP address and the name
of a boot image file from a BOOTP server, then use TFTP to download the
boot image from a possibly different server and launch itself from there.
Not a whole lot has changed since then except that BOOTP has been expanded
and renamed DHCP, and the processes of getting a bootable image to the
client is done in two steps on PCs: first a boot loader is downloaded and
started, which will then download and start the operating system image."

                             KP-216-121-ST