[Asterisk-biz] Telephone number portability. How does it work exactly?

Rehan Ahmed rehan33 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 19:33:10 MST 2005

Alok,
You can go to any level3 partner like myphonecompany.com or didx.net and
they can port your number for you to there network adn you can use it your
self on sip and sell it to your customers.

You cant be a CLEC in every area your self or you will become Level 3 your
self, which would be a great thing :)

Rehan

On 12/21/05, Alok Mohindra <alok.mohindra at gmail.com> wrote:

> Apologies if this is a silly question, but I am wondering how exactly one
> would go about actually transferring a phone number from one service
> provider to another. I ask the question because I am interested in starting
> a residential broadband telephone service (and I'm sure I'm not alone)
>
> Specifically, if a prospective customer in Canada or the US wishes to
> transfer their telephone service to my company (or Vonage, Broadvoice,
> Packet8, or hundreds of other providers), what specific steps would I need
> to take to effect the transfer? Do I need to be a fully licensed CLEC for
> this to happen? Can a customer running Vonage transfer their number, and if
> so what specifically needs to happen?
>
> Thanks in advance for the input.
>
> Regards,
> Alok Mohindra