[Asterisk-biz] Telephone number portability. How does it work exactly?

Alok Mohindra alok.mohindra at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:45:30 MST 2005

Apologies if this is a silly question, but I am wondering how exactly one
would go about actually transferring a phone number from one service
provider to another. I ask the question because I am interested in starting
a residential broadband telephone service (and I'm sure I'm not alone)

Specifically, if a prospective customer in Canada or the US wishes to
transfer their telephone service to my company (or Vonage, Broadvoice,
Packet8, or hundreds of other providers), what specific steps would I need
to take to effect the transfer? Do I need to be a fully licensed CLEC for
this to happen? Can a customer running Vonage transfer their number, and if
so what specifically needs to happen?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Regards,
Alok Mohindra