[Asterisk-biz] Israel to block International VoIP calls?

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 08:27:22 MST 2005

Interesting article.
In June 2003 I flew to Israel to set up a branch office for my then
employer. My job on the trip included:
* Work with Bezek (the Israeli version of the US AT&T before the '80s)
to setup a data E1 to the internet.
* Setup the local network and the remote network (back to the US) connectivity.
* Look into setting up a local PBX that could in the long run be
integrated with the US PBX using VoIP.

At that time Tadiran looked to be the winner for the PBX (I didn't'
know about Asterisk yet), however because of the time zone difference,
and the type of work involved at that time, Voice communications
between the offices was not really needed - they work from 8 am to 2
pm Israel time (+2) while we here in the US work 9-5 (-5) which means
that by the time they are done working we are still sleeping - so my
employer decided not to invest in such an expensive PBX. One of the
problems I ran into was that I was told by Bezek it is illegal in
Israel to route calls using VoIP without a license as an international
phone company, when I asked him to give me docs supporting that, he
did so. I read thru them, and then told him that it is only meant for
providers, or reselling calling cards, but a business internally is
allowed to do whatever they want. He went on to ask his legal
department and they agreed with me.
The point, I was very surprised to see that Israel has such laws that
still gives Bezek the control to stay the monopoly. But they do, it is
illegal in Israel to open a VoIP company like what we can do here
(which is getting harder here as well because of the 911 requirments).
 Unless you have a license as a phone company.