[Asterisk-biz] Voip startup regulations question

Trevor G. Hammonds trevor at skyhost.net
Tue Aug 30 12:43:05 MST 2005

CSB wrote on Tuesday, 30 August 2005 12:02 PM:

> Guys, trying to open up a small voip company and sell calling cards,
> IP phone systems and dialup network solutions.
> I called SBA and they said I do not need special permits in
> California, just a city permit to operate.
> But I am not sure if they understood my question.
> Plus, I am trying to figure out if I need to apply for permits on
> other states to sell calling card, voip services and dialup services.
> Please give me some clues to go after on this task. I guess I may end
> up going to a Telecom Lawyer at the end.
>
> Thanks in advance.

You most definitely do need a business license from the city or cities in
which you normally do business.  If you are not going to operate under your
own legal name, you will either need to file a DBA or form a legal entity of
some sort (corporation is most likely what you need).  You will also need
approval from the CPUC to sell prepaid calling cards within the state of
California.  If you are physically selling prepaid cards within other
states, you will need to check with their PUC, PSC, or other regulatory
body.

If you plan on offering dialtone, be prepared to deploy an E-911 solution
for your customers.

Contact me off list if you have any further questions.

		Sincerely,
		Trevor Hammonds

California Public Utilities Commission
Telecommunications Industry Section
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/static/industry/telco/index.htm

CPUC Prepaid Phone Cards Info Page
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/static/aboutcpuc/divisions/consumer+protection/enforc
ement+branch/utility+enforcement/030221_phonecards.htm