[Asterisk-biz] Voip startup regulations question

Cirelle Enterprises gcirino at cirelle.com
Tue Aug 30 15:25:32 MST 2005

Trevor G. Hammonds wrote:
> CSB wrote on Tuesday, 30 August 2005 12:02 PM:
>

>>Guys, trying to open up a small voip company and sell calling cards,
>>IP phone systems and dialup network solutions.
>>I called SBA and they said I do not need special permits in
>>California, just a city permit to operate.
>>But I am not sure if they understood my question.
>>Plus, I am trying to figure out if I need to apply for permits on
>>other states to sell calling card, voip services and dialup services.
>>Please give me some clues to go after on this task. I guess I may end
>>up going to a Telecom Lawyer at the end.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>

> You most definitely do need a business license from the city or cities in
> which you normally do business.  If you are not going to operate under your
> own legal name, you will either need to file a DBA or form a legal entity of
> some sort (corporation is most likely what you need).  You will also need
> approval from the CPUC to sell prepaid calling cards within the state of
> California.  If you are physically selling prepaid cards within other
> states, you will need to check with their PUC, PSC, or other regulatory
> body.
>
> If you plan on offering dialtone, be prepared to deploy an E-911 solution
> for your customers.

you will only need a business license in the state you are physically doing
business in.  You do not need to have one in any state you sell to provided
you do not have a physical presence.  This goes for sales tax as well.

this is the current status and may change if the feds let the governors
have their way.

HTH

Best Regards

Greg Cirino