[Asterisk-biz] DID is a mission critical issue raised by C. Hatton Humphrey "Where did my DIDs go?"

C. Hatton Humphrey chumphrey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 14:57:04 MST 2005

>  I read much of the discussion on this list and elsewhere about per minute
> rates (both incoming and outgoing). But, at the end of the day, if your DID
> is out service, you are out of business!

Thank you for putting the issue in these words!  It does not matter
one wit's bit that I can call out until I'm blue in the face using my
new outgoing carrier.  Hell, the *only* reason I was forced to move
away from Packet8 in the first place was because they do not offer
BYOD for their business services.  I would have been more than happy
to pay their business rate and maintain the level of service that I
had before we ourgrew the hosted PBX soltion they offer.

The point is only exasserbated by the fact that I feel like the bell
at the end of a *very* long rope at this point.  It's also worse
because I can't up and find a new provider now that I'm right smack in
the middle of a DID change to the new carrier.  As a web developer I
am used to propogation delays for things like domain name changes or
DNS server moves so I know that nothing can be done about the
situation until the port is completed.

Phone service is a convenience that we have all grown complacent with,
when it works it should work well.  When it doesn't work we want to
know why it isn't working and when it's going to work again.  The
simple lack of that knowledge is the most maddening part of this whole
issue.

>  2. Who is ultimatley responsible for LNP - the "current DID owner" or the
> "future DID owner".

The new carrier is responsible for filing the LNP request and
submitting it to a third party verification and action organization.

>  3. Is their any regulation about what happens to the DID number if the
> service provider (reseller), or even the CLEC, goes belly up.

The way I understand it is that if the current carrier does not
respond to the LNP request within 60 days (something like that) then
the port is automatically approved.  Most companies don't respond.

Hatton