Fw: [Asterisk-biz] AsterBill

Francisco A. Lozano francisco.lozano at metrored-telecom.com
Fri Aug 5 06:59:28 MST 2005

Lists escribió:

>On Friday 05 August 2005 08:47, Francisco A. Lozano wrote:
>

>>I don't think the problem is the $150. It's in fact very cheap $1800/year
>>for such kind of application (provided it is a complete, well-done,
>>dependable and stable system).
>>

>Yes, billing is often the archilles heel of many smaller carriers and $1800
>per year is a good price.
>

>>I think the problem is depending on any small company for your business.
>>You can depend on Oracle, on SAP, on Microsoft and on IBM. But you can't
>>depend on a small company, or at least I wouldn't do it; have had bad
>>experiences with that in the past.
>>

>(Interesting choice of words in the same sentence, depend & microsoft. : )
>Besides you are running a bit of A=A=A computation with small companies. A
>better measurement would be the track history.
>
>Small companies ($1-50M) can often be more dependable to care for their
>customers and try to do the right thing. Big companies like ms live for THEIR
>pockets and could care less about you. So the opposit is also true.

I agree, small companies are really GREAT, as you deal with persons and
not with a brand. BUT  you have to be very careful about it. Depend on
microsoft? yup, I know that Microsoft SQL Server will stay there in
2010. But I don't know if a small database vendor will stay there in
2010: If I had choosen some years ago Ovrimos SQL Server,  I'd be in
trouble right now: go www.ovrimos.com and see. Another example: remember
the bunch of dbase-style development environments that there were many
years ago, from small and big companies? which ones last? MS-FoxPro and
few more.

I agree that small --> bad and big --> good is a heavy simplification,
but the size of a company is one of the decission-makers when choosing a
software provider.

Anyway, I'd better stay with a small company which provides me source
code than with a big company which hides their source code.