Fw: [Asterisk-biz] AsterBill

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Fri Aug 5 06:39:02 MST 2005

Francisco A. Lozano wrote:

>At least they gave me the same price... They're not cheating as someone here
>suggested hehehe

:-)

>I don't think the problem is the $150. It's in fact very cheap $1800/year
>for such kind of application (provided it is a complete, well-done,
>dependable and stable system).

Agreed.

>I think the problem is depending on any small company for your business. You
>can depend on Oracle, on SAP, on Microsoft and on IBM. But you can't depend
>on a small company, or at least I wouldn't do it; have had bad experiences
>with that in the past.

Well, Enron and Worldcom sure looked like big, successful business until
they were not. This "big business is more stable" is just an illusion -
a false sense of security.

>I asked them if they would provide source code (under any kind of NDA and
>non-redistributable license they choosed), so that I would have options if
>they ran out of business (I hope they don't, but who knows...) or I wanted
>to modify the application, correct an error or add a custom feature.
>
>They said they wouldn't, so I said "no thanks". That business model works
>for Microsoft, Adobe, SAP and these kind of companies, but a small company
>can't ask their customers to trust blindly on their ability to stay there.

I don't think source code is a big issue. The biggest issue is "will the
data be in an open format so I can switch to another product if theirs
go bust".