[Asterisk-biz] Re: USA Termination

Matthew Simpson matthew at txlink.net
Mon Apr 25 16:58:17 MST 2005

> From: alex at pilosoft.com

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Matthew Simpson wrote:
>
>> I was waiting for you or Alex to chime in with that.  If you're not
>> buying from an IXC like Qwest or Global crossing you can get rates at
>> 0.005 and below for all tiers, including NECA.  The interconnect cost is
>> 0.003 or less, so selling at 0.005 or 0.0075 would be profitable.
> Uh how's that? Whoever you buy from has to pay NECA access tariff.

That's true... if you connect to the access tandem.  ;)

>> You can go out and buy foreign<-->US settlement traffic for 0.006
>> through 0.015 blended that includes NECA all day long.
> Yeah, but that's borderline illegal ;)

How so?  Major carriers sell settlement traffic all day long.  We run a
private peering that has some major international telcos trading traffic
with all peers, and settlement traffic is a hot item right now.

> See lawsuits thrown around between SBC/Verizon and ATT/MCI.

You're talking about the "Starts as TDM -- IP transport -- ends as TDM"
lawsuits, right?  That was found to be illegal.  And I'm not advocating
that.  That was a poor excuse for a loophole that was tried for a while, but
none of the arbitrage players of today are setting themselves up that way.

>> I know it can suck to be a "wholesaler" out there reselling IXC routes
>> and get hit with the new VoIP guys selling below your "cost", but if
>> you're still buying and selling on the old TDM model, you'd better be
>> selling to end-users, because nobody else will pay those prices for
>> routes.  Our company is glad to see more VoIP wholesalers out there, if
>> someone's cheaper than we are, we'll buy from them, and it's just better
>> for the industry all around.
> TDM or not TDM, the bottom line is, there's access tariff. How do you
> get around that? I'm not aware that if you trunk into each individual EO,
> you somehow avoid paying access tariff. (I think there's a specific
> different tariff for direct-EO interconnect but to my knowledge it is
> identical to access tariff).

You pay access only on access traffic.  You don't pay access on local
traffic.  ;)

Yours,
Matthew
www.txlink.net/