[Asterisk-biz] Re: USA Termination

Matthew Simpson matthew at txlink.net
Mon Apr 25 16:49:18 MST 2005

Jeremy Wrote:

> So then how do you intend to guarantee QoS to your customers if you are
> simply buying random VoIP routes from others?   Smells like a recipe for
> disaster to me.  I am going to stick to dumping our traffic onto our
> known reliable TDM network.

We don't buy "random VoIP routes", we deploy network directly to the end
offices or tandem serving the LATAs we have deployed in, or we buy directly
from another CLEC [usually a partner CLEC] that has done that in off-net
markets.  We also don't connect to major routes using public Internet, we
use long haul Ethernet or fiber OCx.  And lastly, all of our routes are
backed by at least one backup route, usually more than one.

We certainly do guarantee QoS to any customer who connects to us with a
private line connection or colocates with us.  The weak point is having
customers that connect to you over public Internet.  I would consider anyone
a fool who guarantees QoS over public internet.

Dumping traffic onto an overpriced IXC like Qwest or Global [who is then in
turn converting it back into VoIP, and transporting it to CLECs such as us,
who is then converting it back into TDM] makes you a middleman who is paying
too much.  Invest in some network, and then you'll be selling to those guys
instead of paying too much to them.

yours,
Matthew