[Asterisk-Biz] SS7 available for Asterisk

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Fri Apr 15 12:06:55 MST 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Alex Pui wrote:

>  >>With all due respect, I think Mark and Digium deserve the right to make
> money, and other developers...Well, don't :)
>
> -alex
>
> Is this serious opinion or is this a joke, can you elaborate further on
> this? I know Mark is the creator of Asterisk, no doubt, he should be
> respected of his contribution. But did he tell everybody that he will make
> money on this and others would have anything? If he did, and everybody wants
> to help him, then it would be fine, otherwise, it is cheating or at least to
> take advantage of others, in my opinion.
IF you are a developer with code in asterisk base, then you would have
signed a disclaimer which says pretty much that.

IF you are not a developer, you have no dog in this fight, so kindly go
away.

> May be we don't have a choice, but I would not say Digium "deserve" the
> right, they can simply issue shares to developer who has contributed,
> and if Digium make money, everybody got something, then I would use the
> word "deserve"
No. Mark and Digium's contributions far exceed contributions of any other
single developer. Sure, it would be "fair" for them to give 'shares' based
on a contribution, but I am not going to think twice before contributing
more code, or think any less of Digium.

Like I said, if you don't like the current mechanism and don't feel like
giving Digium right to use your work commercially, you are very welcome to
fork Asterisk and license your contributions under GPL only. Isn't this a
wonderful world where you have that right?

-alex