[Asterisk-biz] LiveVOIP

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Thu Apr 7 11:20:47 MST 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, snacktime wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed how almost all of the low cost providers hang
> off of second tier, cheap bandwidth colo providers?  You have to know
> this effects their reliability.  Even livevoip uses less than optimal
> facilities, although they seem to be better than some.
>
> What I don't get is that first rate bandwidth isn't that much more.
> For $1000 month I have a full rack with 3mbps at Internap at a major hub
> with the meetme room just 2 floors away.  If I wanted to save some money
> I could go with a cheaper colo provider in the same building and go with
> someone like Level3 for bandwidth.  A full rack with 1mbps in this
> scenario would be about $500.
Like I explained before: It's not the bandwidth quality that kills you, it
is not rocket science to run a stable network nowadays. It is the total
and utter lack of control, as well as low expectations. When you one of 10
thousand customers, if you need remote hands assistance, you wait. If
something fails, and you need to replace it, you wait. When you are paying
90$ for the 'dedicated server' from the favorite WHT lemonade stand of the
month, you can't expect them to jump up when you need assistance. You
can't expect to get any crossconnects there, etc.

There's no problem starting small - as long as your customer's
expectations are appropriately managed. We all started small initially.