[Asterisk-biz] tandem locations

asterisk at slkgroups.com asterisk at slkgroups.com
Tue Apr 5 18:28:18 MST 2005

Herman - Jamie -
Alex clarified it nicely. sorry- i often make the mistake of assuming all know what i am talking about.

i am trying to determine where the ILEC has there 'central switches' - the ones that 'talk' to all/most of the other switches in a LATA. i was offered a deal on PRI circuits - but i need to get a piece of real estate near the 'tandem'.

Alex (in his 8:48P email) described quite nicely. what i am hoping to find- since i assune it exists- is a listing of ILEC tandems, and their physical address. i have found two places to locate the switches, but neither differentiate between a 'common' switch and a tandem.
i have a switch 3200 ft away, butr i doubt it is a tandem.

thanks again all- i hope that i have clarified this a bit.

Alex- any chance we can talk??

thanks
keith tucholski
the SLK Groups
hazleton, pa 18201
570-459-2256 warehouse
570-436-0354 cell

Jamie, you are right about that being one possibility. But I wonder why someone would want locations of such things. Tandem computers are the type of thing that are usually dedicated to a purpose or need. You don't just walk into a place and rent time on them to run your favorite COBOL payroll or billing app. So my guess is that Keith is referring to some other kind of tandem. I'm curious now.

Jamie Fargen wrote:
Isn't a Tandem a mainframe which has processors that are locksteped together. This creates a very redundant architecture in the event of a hardware failure. It's now sold by HP under the monicure Himalaya NSK (Non-Stop Kernel), they received this line when they purchased Compaq, which in turn inherited it when they purchased DEC, who originally purchased the Tandem company.

Thanks
Jamie Fargen