[Asterisk-biz] carrier class names

brett-asterisk at worldcall.net brett-asterisk at worldcall.net
Tue Nov 23 20:54:08 MST 2004

Ted Wallingford wrote:

> I think Jason is on to the same concept I am. But there's no reason an
> CLEC can't provide E-911 service as long as it pays for the dispatch
> connectivity through the ILEC's facilities. But, aside from the
> disinction of one being an ILEC and one being a CLEC, VoIP carriers
> may opt not to provide E-911 service at all... They are still ILECs,
> right? I'm trying to find out if there's a name for those that don't
> provide the service. And not "ones that suck".

You may find yourself taking on more liability than you'd want if you
provide any kind of phone service without regard to 911.. For example.
IF you have "users" on your network someone WILL at some time dial 911
on your network. What are you putting in your dialplan??

exten => 911,1,Congestion

I've actually seen this quite a bit and it really freaks me out:

exten => 911,1,Answer
exten => 911,2,Playback(were-sorry-no911)
exten => 911,3,Hangup

-Brett