[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Business Termination -- VOIPJET

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Tue Nov 23 08:53:36 MST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
>
> > No, we are saying you should buy your data T1 from the same provider who
> > is going to provide you voice over that same T1.
>
> Exactly. Or, in our case, we also have a regional DSL provider who is
> connected to our ISP's gateway router (and thus only one hop farther
> from our equipment than our T1-attached customers), and they are working
> on providing downstream QoS to their customers who use our service.

DSL sucks. While they may give you QOS at the IP level, the underlying ATM
and/or Frame Networks will still suffer from overcongestion and will have
no idea of the TOS bits set at the IP level riding below them.

> Once that is in place, customers who are willing to sacrifice a little
> reliability to save a lot of money will have that option. There are
> still some "oversubscription" points in the DSL network that the DSL
> provider cannot control, but by and large it will be an acceptable
> solution for a great deal of small customers.
>
> Again, though, this traffic is not going over the "wild" Internet; yes,
> it is traversing a (single) public Internet router, but I have not a
> small whit of concern about that router's ability to feed traffic at
> full speed to each of these links.

All that being said, we have a 100 meg hand-off to X/O's backbone, and a
client that insisted on doing 6 lines through a 1.54 meg SDSL connection
through X/O. We initially refused to do the project, but after a
traceroute revelead they were 2 hops away (Our router, DSL router) w/ an
average latency of about 16ms, we decided to give it a try. So far, so
good, but the minute their DSL takes a dump, we have a plan in place to
route all their calls to their Cell Phones. So far, that hasn't happened,
but I'm expecting it any minute now. ;)

                             KP-216-121-ST