[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Business Termination -- VOIPJET

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Tue Nov 23 08:46:31 MST 2004

alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

> No, we are saying you should buy your data T1 from the same provider who
> is going to provide you voice over that same T1.

Exactly. Or, in our case, we also have a regional DSL provider who is
connected to our ISP's gateway router (and thus only one hop farther
from our equipment than our T1-attached customers), and they are working
on providing downstream QoS to their customers who use our service.

Once that is in place, customers who are willing to sacrifice a little
reliability to save a lot of money will have that option. There are
still some "oversubscription" points in the DSL network that the DSL
provider cannot control, but by and large it will be an acceptable
solution for a great deal of small customers.

Again, though, this traffic is not going over the "wild" Internet; yes,
it is traversing a (single) public Internet router, but I have not a
small whit of concern about that router's ability to feed traffic at
full speed to each of these links.