[asterisk-app-dev] ARI method of posting log messages to Asterisk

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Wed Oct 16 14:41:11 CDT 2013

On 16/10/13 14:22, Matthew Jordan wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Brad Watkins
> <bwatkins at thinkingphones.com <mailto:bwatkins at thinkingphones.com>> wrote:
>
>     I don't personally see a need for logging functionality within ARI.
>     There are so many ways in any language you can think of to log to
>     files/database/etc. that complicating the ARI in order to pollute
>     asterisk's logs more seems unnecessary.
>
>     - Brad
>
> Actually, a few people (/me looks at Alistair and Lenz) at AstriDevCon
> expressed an interest in this functionality.

What both Steve Davies and I were interested in at AstriDevCon was the
ability to do the equivalent of the UserEvent() dialplan application, so
that there's a way to send a message from an ARI application through
Asterisk to something listening on AMI (and perhaps ARI too). This is
very useful when you have a complex telephony system with different
components written by different people/companies but which need to be
aware of each other's telephony actions.

 > [Oct 16 17:20:23] ERROR[20023] my_first_queue.py:1234: Oh snap! There
 > aren't any agents! Bail - bail - bail

We weren't talking about ARI to log files specifically, but I agree that
this would also be very useful to have, for exactly this sort of
example. Having logging of all telephony actions in one place is a Very
Good Thing for auditing and debugging purposes.

--
Alistair Cunningham
+1 888 468 3111