[asterisk-app-dev] ARI method of posting log messages to Asterisk

Scott Griepentrog sgriepentrog at digium.com
Thu Oct 17 09:59:51 CDT 2013

Having built CGI's, I can say that while *normally* I don't particularly
care to have the logging in Asterisk, there have been times while debugging
something where the ability to insert lines into the Asterisk log helped
show the sequence of things happening and get something resolved.

It's not something that you really want to have as an everyday normal
process, but as an option when in a crunch to sort out aberrant behavior
it's useful.

So: don't use if if you don't want to, but IMHO it should be included,
although not as a priority over other issues.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 1:44 AM, Lenz Emilitri <lenz.loway at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/10/16 Paul Belanger <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com>:
> >> Say for example your application hits an error condition and hangs up
> the
> >> channel - from the Asterisk log file perspective, it just got a DELETE
> >> channel and it hangs up the channel. It doesn't know why it hung it up
> - for
> >> all it knows, the hangup was completely nominal. Having the ability to
> send
> >> a:
> >>
> >> [Oct 16 17:20:23] ERROR[20023] my_first_queue.py:1234: Oh snap! There
> aren't
> >> any agents! Bail - bail - bail
>

> I think I initially proposed this at the AstriDevCon. The idea is that
> it is true you can interact with your own logging, but if the app is
> remote - and apps will be remotely hosted, and/or interacting with
> multiple boxes at once - it will be easier to find issues by looking
> at the local log - where you find everything else as well. I would not
> need different logging levels or anything - I would not send internal
> debug messages this way, but would likely send events that are
> meaningful for the Asterisk administration e.g. why a channel was hung
> up in error or a bridge was not found.
>
> I would have no way to write to the syslog from a remotely hosted
> application that has only ARI access to Asterisk and no access to
> services and filesystem.
>
> Just my two cents.
> l.

[image: Digium logo]
*Scott Griepentrog*
Digium, Inc · Software Developer
445 Jan Davis Drive NW · Huntsville, AL 35806 · US
direct/fax: +1 256 428 6239 · mobile: +1 317 507 4029
Check us out at: http://digium.com <http://www.digium.com> ·
http://asterisk.org <http://www.asterisk.org>