[Dundi] "Regarding the backup/failover solution"

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:51:17 CDT 2009

> Because the senario which I want to make it happen is that I will be having
> two asterisk machines which acts as primary and secondary servers and all
> the phones would be connected to the primary server, I want to see that if
> the first server is down then the phones can pick up the second server using
> Dundi.

You can not use DUNDi for this.  DUNDi is an Asterisk peer-to-peer
protocol, only Asterisk understands DUNDi.  The phones do not know
anything about DUNDi, they usually talk SIP to Asterisk.

What you are describing is 2 Asterisk servers setup in a Master/Slave
High Availability scenario, whereby all phones would register to the
Master and if the Master failed, the phones would register to the
Slave and continue to operate.

This has been done before and works well.  You need some HA utility
like UltraMonkey to share an IP between the Master/Slave and then use
rsync to keep the voicemail/ast database/config files updated between
the servers.

This discussion is better on the asterisk-ha-clustering list.

Good Luck.

JR
--
JR Richardson