[Dundi] DUNDi popularity

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Oct 12 12:03:26 MST 2006

----- Jim Dalton <jim.dalton at transnexus.com> wrote:
> If this shortcoming were solved, would DUNDi make sense for a public
> network?

If you look in the archives of this list, you'll see that I raised these issues quite some time ago (long before I joined Digium).

Without support in the protocol for accountability, few carriers will be able to trust it for any sort of PSTN replacement functionality. At a minimum, you need to be able to follow the trust chain to see which peer is offering to accept a given call from you (so that if it fails or is misdirected you can notify the peer who claims to trust them) and you also need to be able to follow the trust chain if someone is sending bogus calls to you (again so you can notify the peer who trusts them).

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer