[Dundi] Hypothetical World with DUNDI...

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Jun 21 05:15:28 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:06:38AM +0000, Teoman Haliloglu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been learning about asterisk and DUNDI for a while. I've been
> thinking of how to build an efficient p2p voip network recently. Of
> course there is SER SIP redirector, which is quite good for scalable
> p2p networking, but conceptually I liked IAX more as a flexible
> protocol, as much as I've read on the net.
>
> Let's think about an ideal world, where every home user or small
> network have their own copies of asterisk servers with a decent
> internet connection.

And a fixed IP or name?

> Then, DUNDI might be a very efficient way to publish routing
> information instead of using SIP redirection, and everyone will be
> very happy as what they have on their machines is a talented PBX
> capable of routing calls according to their needs. If only, following
> could be done:
>

> 1. DUNDI peering could automatically be configured at the home user
> box with an "operator's" server(s) at install time or when home user
> opens an account with the operator...
>
> 2. Operator's machine should support dynamic IP based peering with home users.

How exactly? The current popular workaround for this is "dynamic dns":
using a DNS record with a short TTL period (the minimum: 1 minute). Thus
practically no caching is used for that DNS record. I'm not familiar
with dunde, but how do such "dynamic" changes affect it?

Basically you seem to suggest a rather centralized network with a certral
managing hub.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com