[Dundi] Hypothetical World with DUNDI...

Teoman Haliloglu teoman at sfenks.com
Tue Jun 21 05:06:38 CDT 2005

Hi,

I've been learning about asterisk and DUNDI for a while. I've been thinking of how to build an efficient p2p voip network recently. Of course there is SER SIP redirector, which is quite good for scalable p2p networking, but conceptually I liked IAX more as a flexible protocol, as much as I've read on the net.

Let's think about an ideal world, where every home user or small network have their own copies of asterisk servers with a decent internet connection.

Then, DUNDI might be a very efficient way to publish routing information instead of using SIP redirection, and everyone will be very happy as what they have on their machines is a talented PBX capable of routing calls according to their needs. If only, following could be done:

1. DUNDI peering could automatically be configured at the home user box with an "operator's" server(s) at install time or when home user opens an account with the operator...
2. Operator's machine should support dynamic IP based peering with home users.
3. Operator's machine should support dundilookup against a database. (Number 2 also suggests that-In this case operator's machine does not even need to have asterisk, which means an ordinary PC can respond thousands of lookups easily)

Then, the operator might peer with other operators etc...

Did anyone work on such a configuration? Am I missing anything theoretically?

From my research on the net, I beleive that this is possible and will work.

I wanted to get your opinions and would like to work on this project together with whoever wants to join.

Regards,
Teoman