[Dundi] representation

Ed Guy edguy at pulver.com
Tue Oct 26 15:24:22 CDT 2004

I'll concede that us toll free numbers now are essentially unique.
(although people told me of their experiences reaching different
toll-free subscribers using FWD,  I cannot confirm it and it goes
against service and location portability policies that went in
place over the last decade.)

The DUNDi protocol can assume that any IN routing is beyond its
scope	and the requirements to achieve such SHOULD be handled by
the Egress Gateway. (Although, it is not likely at this time.)

IMHO, +18NN numbers should be published in the e164 trust group.
However, if your service is such that it requires the call to
enter the PSTN with certain characteristics, don't locate
egress gateways for these calls via DUNDi. International
FWD users are usually thrilled to reach US 800 numbers despite
the origination point.

* * * *

700 services are not unique; they are carrier-specific
and used for carrier specific purposes. (e.g., 700/5554141
should tell you the carrier.) Dundi has the ability to supply
multiple routes.

The caller of these e.164 numbers expects something special to happen
based on the carrier in use.   DUNDI provides routes to
Services and Egress Gateways,  but does not specify the carrier to use.
The chosen route will result in a call with their carrier-specific
behavior.  Like +18NN numbers, if you need a certain behavior,
don't locate egress gateways for these numbers via DUNDi.

IMHO, the e.164 trust group/GPA should no preclude listing 700
numbers, and the caller should be able to choose the
route that is used.  But, since this might be confusing for the
current implementation, maybe we should limit the trust group to
IAXTEL 700 numbers as this would be more useful than none at all.

/ed