[Dundi] representation

Bownes, Robert Robert.Bownes at ogs.state.ny.us
Tue Oct 26 12:53:37 CDT 2004

Please forgive my original US centric answer....This all applies only to
the US and other countries in the NANP. The rest of the world handles
0800 numbers differently (of course the US has to be different).

There are two separate but related issues:

    +1.800 uniqueness
    +1.800 routing

In the NANP, toll free numbers (aka 800 numbers) are known as non
geographic numbers, but geographic routing may still apply (by country),
resulting in non routability in the 800 number pool. Interexchange
carriers can also play routing games with 800 numbers based on a number
of factors, including origin, time, etc.

I went and did some research and confirmed that in the past the numbers
were unique within a lata, but today, the numbers are unique.

  _____