[Dundi] representation

Ed Guy edguy at pulver.com
Tue Oct 26 10:49:44 CDT 2004

>800 numbers are essentially unique as far as I know, when prefixed by the
>appropriate country code (e.g. "1" in the US/Canada).

Mark,

There's a lot of history on the 800 numbers that I suppose was related to
tariffs.
The older folks in the group will remember when you could not call an 800
number
from the state where the service was located -- They were only deployed
for toll-free interstate service.

I have an 800 number (for volunteer organization) that covers US and Canada;
We
had to pay extra for that coverage (as well as the toll charges). If we
didn't subscribe
to the number in Canada,  there would be nothing to prevent anyone from
getting the same
number in the great white north.

This is one of the reasons that international calling to 800 numbers is
not simply an international toll call.

/ed