[Dundi] Question on GPA: Toll Services clause vs. ITSPs

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Oct 23 19:47:59 CDT 2004

The GPA has the following clause:

"6. TOLL SERVICES. No Participant may provide Routes for any Services
that require payment from the calling party or their customer for
communication with the Service. Nothing in this section shall prohibit
a Participant from providing routes for Services where the calling party
may later enter into a financial transaction with the called party
(e.g., a Participant may provide Routes for calling cards services)."

This would more or less prohibit any commercial service provider from
using DUNDi, but I perhaps am mis-reading the legal meaning.

It is clearly the case that if I am an ITSP, I charge for use of my
SIP/IAX network, IP bandwidth, and associated capital investment.
That may come in the form of a monthly charge, or a per-call charge,
or both, but the end result in the same: there is a quantifiable cost
for using the Service.  DUNDi routes, if used, form a sub-portion of
that Service.  Does this mean that Service Providers who charge money
(monthly or per-call) cannot integrate DUNDi into their routing
plans?  Even if a way is determined to not charge on a per-call basis
(often not possible depending on one's billing system,) does this
mean that the Service Provider is unable to have rate plans which
have a monthly fee, or a one-fee-for-all-calls plan?   If this is the
case, I have grave fears of uptake speed for ITSPs and their large
number ranges, or if they participate, of their legal compliance.

This may have been hashed over before, but I couldn't find anything
on the DUNDi list archives; sorry if this was discussed on -users; I
can't keep up there anymore.

JT